The motor had been rebuilt about 30,000 miles before the accident so it decided not to do a complete rebuild. I cleaned it up, fabricated a custom windage tray, and installed a better oil pump.
The engine is a 350 cu. in. Pontiac but feels like a lot more. Most of it's power comes from the factory stock ram air cam was installed with a 4 deg. offset key. Mark was very helpful with this part. With the oil pan on and engine painted, we lifted the motor in place by hand (no engine hoist). We installed the heads next. The heads got a new set of 1:1.65 rocker arms for a little more lift out of the cam. I purchased a set of cast iron ram air exhaust manifolds to keep the stock look and provide more flow. A cast iron intake manifold was used with a Q-jet carburetor. The carb was revamped by RPM speed shop with larger jets and more space in the bowl. Slowly but surely, more pieces were cleaned, painted and installed.
With the radiator installed, the engine was crying out to be started. It was quite loud with only the exhaust manifolds connected. It sounded very healthy. Fire was coming out of the exhaust manifolds so I didn't run it long.
By the way, I drove the car to my brother's muffler shop for the exhaust work with no doors, no fenders, no hood and open exhaust manifolds. Now that's fun! On the way back, I was stopped by the local police. Fortunately my car was quieter and I only got a warning. Thanks a lot Mark!
See my Dyno Run on 9/19/06
New Timing Cover and Water Pump
Click on "Interior" to go to the next page or jump to any page with the links below....
ęCarl Matthews 1998,2003